In October of 1922, a group of citizens gathered at the home of Melvin Bowers to form an organization to handle the needs of a growing community. That night the Branchville Improvement Association was born with Mr. Bowers as President.
A prime reason for the Association was to provide fire protection to the area because the closest fire companies were in Hyattsville, five miles to the south, and Laurel, ten miles to the north.
It was not until 1923 before the young fire company could be formally organized and in operation with the name of Branchville Fire Company 11 of Prince George’s County. The south boundary of Branchville was the culvert on Rhode Island Avenue to Route 1 on the west to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tracks on the east. The Daniels Park area from Rhode Island Avenue and Fox Street up to the Hollywood Road. The company raised money by having festivals, dinners, concerts, and carnivals.